So, apparently the '80s just reached Spain. One of the most glaring fashion trends currently sweeping through Spain (besides the obvious scarfs, skinny pants, and over-the-knee high boots) is hi-top shoes in various bright colors made my all the name brands (nike, adidas, reebok, puma, etc) and flat tops. Maybe I'm missing something that's going on in the U.S., but I'm pretty sure shoes that look moon-ready have not made a come-back. Although I do remember having a pair of L.A. Gears with dual-colored laces, circa 1989. Now, when I say flat top I'm not referring to a classic '50s crew cut, I'm talking about a legitimate 5-6 inches of hair sticking straight up from someone's head. The thing about these flat tops that differs from the original high-top fades of the '80s is that the people sporting them here are European (read: White). Therefore, I can only imagine the amount of hair product needed to execute what I imagine to be a difficult task. While I'm on the topic of hair, let me discuss very quickly two of my other favorite hairstyles of Spain. These would be the Drullet and the Frullet. The Drullet is an amazing combination of dreads and mullet. There is nothing about this haircut that says "business", only "I drink liters of beer on the street in plain view day and night and I probably roll my own cigarettes." The Frullet is a meeting of the epic '90s style of "frosting" one's hair and a mullet. Usually, the frost takes place down the middle of the haircut and runs all the way from the front to the back. Often times, the Frullet has natural curls or has been permed as well. Hopefully, I will be able to post some picture illustrations, but is has proved to be difficult to capture the true essence of these haircuts (without clearly stepping over cultural boundaries).
| Not a tapa, but delicious helado: top scoop=rum ice cream w/raisins; bottom scoop=cookie ice cream |
No comments:
Post a Comment