Friday, December 10, 2010

Its Not Just for America Anymore

I had two Thanksgiving Dinners this year. WOW! Team America really pulled through and put together a couple of awesome Turkey Day spreads. The first dinner was on the the real Thanksgiving, and while we substituted chicken for turkey, the meal was delicious. The dinner was at the piso of some friends and 11 of us came, all carrying something different. There was stuffing, cranberries, asparagus, salad, corn, green beans, and, of course, mashed potatoes and gravy (this was my contribution, along with mashed sweet potatoes). And I can't forget some amazing homemade pies for dessert. The sight of all this glorious food laid out on a big, long table (or a couple smaller tables put together) nearly brought tears to my eyes. Toss in a couple bottles of wine and some beer, and with all 11 of us sitting at the table enjoying the food and company, it was a legitimate Thanksgiving Dinner.

The 1st Thanksgiving Spread

On Friday, we had a second dinner, again at a friend's piso, but this one with a decidedly more international vibe to it. The rules were more or less the same: if you're American, bring a dish to share. However, instead of just 11 people, there were about 20-25, and it was a good mix of Americans and Spanish with some Italians and Brits sprinkled in. The non-Americans pitched in some money to cover the turkey that was pre-ordered from El Corte Inglés (Spanish Macy's/Best Buy combo, but with a grocery store downstairs) and the drinks and we all enjoyed another amazing meal. The usual suspects showed up (turkey, mashed potatoes, cranberries, salad, etc), but there was also a casserole, a pasta dish and, because this is Spain, some sangria to accompany the beer and wine. Overall, it was another fantastic meal that segued into a very fun night at a bar that rolled into one incredible hangover Saturday morning.


The International Crew

I'd be lying if I said it felt like any other Thanksgiving this year, because I definitely missed some things. Football, the oh-so-important tryptophan nap, and above all, family to name a few. Nonetheless, thanks to some amazing new friends, it will be a Thanksgiving I will never forget. GRACIAS A TODOS!

No comments:

Post a Comment